Disclosure: Product links may be affiliate. This means I earn a commission if you click through and purchase. This does not affect the price of your item.
Hot dog stir fry. For when you don’t want to make dinner, but can’t give the kids hot dogs again. Fry ’em up with some veggies and sauces for a real treat.
This recipe was originally posted in October 2018 and was updated in March 2019 to add more detail
Today’s recipe is a quick, bonus recipe.
Why is that? You may ask.
Because it’s not really a recipe. It’s more like a dinner hack. What to make for dinner when you don’t want to make dinner. How to make your hot dogs more exciting and appetizing. What to do when you know the worst is coming.
Sorry, sorry, Harry Potter reference, I couldn’t resist.
Anyway. Hot dog stir fry. My husband made this up one night, and since then, it is his job to make it for dinner. (Hmm, maybe that’s why I think it’s an easy dinner recipe. Because I don’t need to actually make it…)
This also isn’t really a recipe because, well, it isn’t really a recipe. It’s one of those “kitchen sink” recipes where you just dump in everything in your pantry (everything but the kitchen sink. Hence the name.)
Since people seem to like more exact recipes, and not just “dump it in the pan and cook it” recipes, I actually went and measured out the ingredients while I was making it for dinner tonight.
And yes, I had to make it, and not my husband, since I wanted to measure it out.
The things I do for this blog.
Let’s get on to some questions you may have!
What do I serve with hot dog stir fry?
We usually serve it with fresh pita or over rice. If you are feeling healthy, you can swap out the rice for quinoa. You can also make some corn muffins to go with it.
What are some other ways to serve hot dogs?
What, like this delicious hot dog vegetable stir fry isn’t enough for you?
Ok, ok, if you want some other ideas, you can check out this article for some other unique ways to spice up and serve your hot dogs.
Some things to note
- Add in whichever vegetables you prefer. I usually do onion, bell pepper, and carrot, but you can also add mushrooms, broccoli, or anything else that strikes your fancy.
- You can use beef, chicken, or turkey hot dogs. All the sauces you’ll be putting in the stir fry will basically mask the taste anyway.
- I’m putting measurements in the recipe, as I mentioned above, but this really is a “no recipe recipe.” Feel free to experiment and put in whatever sauces or spices you like. Sriracha, soy, teriyaki, barbecue, sweet chili, you name it, it goes well in this hot dog recipe.
- I always fry in canola oil, because my husband can’t stand the taste of olive oil (yes, I know he’s weird. You don’t need to rub it in.) For most of the people making this, using olive oil will work very well.
- Don’t have hot dogs? No worries! You can also substitute any cold sliced deli meats like corned beef, pastrami, salami…
But enough of my rambling. Without further ado, I present to you:
Hot Dog Stir Fry Recipe
One onion, diced
one bell pepper, whichever color you prefer, diced
one carrot, peeled and sliced
one package hot dogs, sliced in rings
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1-2 tablespoons ketchup
3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika, to taste
Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onions and saute for a few minutes until soft. Add pepper, carrot, and hot dog slices. Splash on the sauces and brown sugar. Add generous amounts of salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika. Cook on high heat, stirring occasionally, until hot dogs and veggies are nicely browned, almost burned.
You should definitely try this stir fry recipe one night. Or more than one night. Every night. Until your kids get sick of it and beg you to please, please stop it with the hot dog stir fry already.
Just kidding. Kids will never ask you to stop making hot dog stir fry. It’s such a kid friendly dinner recipe that they will keep wanting more.
Check out some other easy dinner recipes!
And how about some dessert?
Check out my list of 8 kitchen must-haves here!
Hot dog stir fry
- 1 onion diced
- 1 bell pepper whichever color you prefer diced
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 package hot dogs sliced in rings
- black pepper
- garlic powder
Sauces (as desired)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1-2 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onions and saute for a few minutes until soft. Add pepper, carrot, and hot dog slices.
- Add sauces and brown sugar to the frying pan.
- Add generous amounts of salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika.
- Cook on high heat, stirring occasionally, until hot dogs and veggies are nicely browned, almost burned.