Disclosure: Product links may be affiliate. This means I earn a commission if you click through and purchase. This does not affect the price of your item.
Hello lovely peoples! I’m lucky enough to have been nominated for the Blogger Recognition Award by D is for Dollars. D is for Dollars is a great website full of tips on how to pay off debt and gain financial freedom, and you should all check it out asap (as soon as you finish reading this post, that is.)
The rules of the Blogger Recognition Award are simple. It is an award given by bloggers to other bloggers to recognize their achievements. Blogging can be hard and thankless, so getting an award can definitely help cheer people up! (Unfortunately, there are no cash prizes involved. No prizes of any type, actually. Just the warm fuzzy feeling of satisfaction you get when you hear that you received the award).
Now that I’ve received the award, I need to:
-write a blog post about it (hence this post)
-write about the blogger who nominated me and link to their blog (see above)
-tell the story of how my blog began (coming soon)
-give two pieces of advice to new bloggers (keep on reading)
-nominate fifteen other bloggers (just keep going)
Then those fifteen bloggers write a post linking back to me, and nominate fifteen other bloggers, who then write about them, and nominate fifteen more bloggers, in a never-ending chain.
Now then, on to the next part of my nomination acceptance speech (blog post, whatever):
How this blog began
Everything starts somewhere, though many physicists disagree. (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
Sorry, sorry. I saw the chance to quote Terry Pratchett, and I couldn’t resist. (Don’t know who Terry Pratchett is? You’re missing out. Just saying.)
Anyway. How this blog began.
I started as a makeup blog, actually (see the “Beauty” category in the menu?) I got into makeup around a year ago now, and kept bugging my sister and talking to her about it, and kept thinking that it would be so much fun to just talk to other people about makeup all day – which is what a beauty blog is, in essence. Then tax season came (I’m an accountant in real life), and I realized that hey, if I start a beauty blog, then whatever makeup I buy can be considered necessary for my beauty blog business and thus could be used as tax deductions. (I told you I’m an accountant…) And then I looked into blogging even more and saw that it’s actually possible to really make money with it, and I thought WTH, may as well try.
And thus something beautiful and precious was born.
Eventually, I realized that I’d rather write about food than makeup, so I kind of shifted my focus. I’m still not considering myself strictly a food blogger, though, and will definitely have other types of posts on here as well.
My Advice to New Bloggers
On to the next piece of my acceptance speech: what advice would I give to new bloggers. This is a tough one, since I still consider myself a new blogger (it’s only been six months), but let’s see what I can come up with.
1. However much work you think blogging will entail, it will end up being more work than that. Seriously. You need to be a jack of all trades (hopefully not a master of none, though.) You need to be able to build a website and troubleshoot when it goes wonky, and write engaging blog posts, and create beautiful graphics, and promote your blog on social media, and network with other bloggers, and do your best to stay afloat.
I don’t mean to scare you, though. I knew nothing about any of this when I started, and I’m managing. It takes a lot of time and research, but fortunately there are tons of free resources online (such as my how to start a blog guide.) (Please excuse the shameless self-promo.) You can really find out anything you need to know online, or in blogging FaceBook groups, or YouTube videos. You’ll be ok, trust me.
Seriously. Just keep at it. Yes, blogging is hard work, as I mentioned above, but if you keep at it, you’ll succeed.
And now for the fun part!
My Blogger Recognition Award Nominees
1. Eat Mee Recipes is a blog about traditional South African Recipes. The recipe for Koeksister looks exquisite!
2. Play Inspired Mum, as the name suggests, is a Mom blog with a focus on fun & educational play activities for kids
3. Learning is a Way of Life is a blog promoting learning & educating children
4. Occasional Travelers is a travel blog by Filipino expats who also help with trip planning and booking
5. Your Dream Tale is an inspiration/motivation blog to help you live your dreams
6. Easy Blog Emily is a “how to blog” blog with easy, helpful, user-friendly tips
7. Couch to Runner gives advice and tips on how to go from a couch potato to a marathon runner (or at least get you moving somewhat)
8. A Dream In a Suitcase is a travel blog with beautiful pictures (and a really fun name)
9. Ocio Lifestyle is a blog about gratitude, happiness, and thinking positively
10. Dee Gees is another awesome travel blog
11. Student Skint gives tips on how to make money and save money
12. The Creative Cottage is, as their tagline suggests, a “lifestyle blog for creative souls”
13. Anything Rad is a lifestyle blog written by a doctor, so you know you can actually trust the health advice you find there
14. Earn More Live Well, as the name suggests, is a blog to help you, well, earn more and live well
15. Guadeloupe Arc is a travel blog specifically about the Guadeloupe Archipelago. I really like this idea of going in depth about the culture and history of one specific place, as opposed to snapshots of everywhere
And that’s it! I hope you guys enjoy this list of great blogs, and find some other people to read and follow! (As long as you keep coming back to me. That’s what’s most important.)
Check out some delicious recipes!